The A. K. Smiley Friends of the Library support book clubs reading various topics. Below is listing of the current three including their coordinator. Please call or email for particulars.
Drop-ins interested in discussing a particular book are always welcome. Watch your FOL Newsletter for further information about the book clubs. Would you like to start another book group under the auspices of the Friends? Let us know and we’ll help make it happen.
The Third Monday Book Club: 11 am. Assembly Room of Smiley Library
- January 23 (please note date change): The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humbolt’s New World by Andrea Wulf
- February 20: The Tolling of Mercedes Bell: A Novel by Jennifer Dwight
- March 20: Homegoing: A Novel by Yaa Gyasi
Contact Jane Lawrence-Gunn (909) 798-2689 or Carl Martz (909) 793-7704 for further information.
The Eclectic Readers (1st Tuesday Evenings (usually) at 7:30 pm) Location varies
- January 3: Any one of Marsha Muller’s first four books:
- Edwin of the Iron Shoes
- Ask the Cards a Question
- The Chesire Cat’s Eye
- Games to Keep the Dark Away
- March 7: Clementine The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill by Sonia Purnell
- April 4: Queen Victoria’s Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise by Lucinda Hawksley
Contact Hopi at Hopiclan@gmail.com for further information.
Third Wednesday Book Club: 2:30 pm in the Assembly Room of Smiley Library
- January 18: The Face of a Stranger by Anne Perry
- February 15: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
- March 15: Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
- April 19: The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
- May 17: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
- June 21: H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
- July 19: Truman Capote by George Plimpton
Contact David Bragg (909) 784-0770 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.